One of the biggest pluses about the elementary school Youngest attends is that the teachers arrive at the school and seem to stay forever. In the eight years I've had children there, I think only two teachers have left for other gigs. Another three have retired. There are a total of 22 teachers.
As bad luck would have it, on the last day of school, I found out that the teacher I had requested Youngest have in third grade took a position at the district office. I actually cried because, damn, Youngest needs continuity. He needs to know his teacher. And he needs to have the right fit.
There are four classes in third grade. One will have a new teacher. Two are taught by teachers who have been at the school a long time. The final class is taught by two teachers, one who works 60% and one who works 40%.
Both older kids had this team. I like this team. They're both good teachers and they did well by my older two. The primary reason I didn't request them? Youngest knew the now-departed teacher because she had been the teacher of the two older kids when she taught fourth grade.
The secondary reason I didn't request them? Because one of them had asked me to write a letter of recommendation for her a couple of months ago, so I wasn't sure what would happen. Would she leave? Would the other then switch grades or also leave?
I didn't want to chance the unknown.
And here I am now, facing the unknown.
That's the back story. And, in the immortal words of the late Paul Harvey: here's the rest of the story.
I was getting ready for the big pool party Friday morning when the 40% teacher called me. She was on her way to deliver her signed contract to become a teacher in another school district. She was livid at how she had been treated by the new principal and by the district office.
When the now-departed teacher said she was going to the district office, the 60% teacher was approached and made a full-time teacher, leaving the 40% teacher in need of a new team member.
But what that 40% teacher had been trying to do for months was also become a full-time teacher, making it known that was what she wanted. A second grade teacher was retiring, and she wanted that position.
She didn't get it. A fourth grade teacher got it instead. How did she find out? When it was announced to everyone.
So when the now-departed teacher said she was leaving, and the 60% teacher was given a full-time position, the 40% teacher said, "I'll do that, too."
Instead of giving it to her outright, as they'd done with her teammate, they told her she'd have to interview for it.
Interview for a job she essentially already has.
I guess it's at that point that you learn to read the dry erase marker on the white board: you're not wanted here.
So she took the job she'd been offered by the other district, making, by the way, $10,000 more each year. She's a good teacher. She's warm and engaging and encouraging. She'd be the type of teacher you'd want your kids to have.
Apparently, she's not the type of teacher our principal or HR director wants.
I mentioned to Eldest the other night that I had a fairly wide open day Friday. Writer that he is, he wondered if I would perhaps like a wri...
I have asked my wife if I could be a “guest blogger” today. As most of you know, I have just had a triple bypass operation. In the grand sc...
Either I tell the kids about the horrors at Virginia Tech or they find out about it at their elementary school. Check out Wordless Wednesday...